Redirecting...

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Spinners Say "Yankees Suck"

The Lowell Spinners, the single-A affiliate of the Boston Red Sox, came out with a press release today that announces their new mission to replace all "Yankees" teams in youth leagues in and around Red Sox Nation with "Spinners" teams. To me, this boils down to the Spinners saying "Yankees Suck" in their own special way.

Hey...Go Spinners.

They make a convincing argument, describing the turmoil many kids go through when waiting to find out to which youth league team they've been assigned, hoping that they go to any team BUT the Yankees. I can understand this...I certainly wouldn't be very excited to have to play on a team with that name, and may have dropped the whole little league thing all together, given my droughthers. "When you are a kid playing baseball it is pure fun, and worrying about what team you are on should be the least of your concerns," says GM Tim Bawmann, and I think he's right. Furthermore, I think it's time we removed big league club names from the youth leagues althogether. I would like to think people are creative enough to come up with some team names other than those such as "Orioles", "Giants", and "Astros". They all have connotations as well; don't you think a kid from Boston may be somewhat partial to playing for the "Red Sox"?

Lastly, one might ask themselves, "what about those kids who WANT to play for a team called the Yankees?". The short answer is:

TOO BAD.

No comments: